Huwebes, Disyembre 18, 2014

Chronicles of Bakun Trio : Day 1 Mt. Lobo


C'est la vie. That’s the bottom line. I am sick (its all in the mind) , i have current serious stomach pain and some knee problems. But I loved to climb - so be it.
I still had a week before my schedule monthly check-up, but then I decided to join Sir Jojo with team PUSH IT for a Bakun trio climb. Not a bad plan. I had never climbed Bakun before, and i want it out of my bucket lists so I was super keen to go. It was actually about finding the right spot with the right conditions/companions at that time.
5 Am Baguio City
It was a 4 hour long drive going to Dada, our first destination. We have a quick stop at Halselma highway for some photo session. Nostalgic, Really.
From kibungan intersection the rough road has started. What a thrill. The ride going to Bakun can be more dangerous than those pine forest and upland ravines. However, we had a terrific driver, very skilled and very careful. I'm a fan. I salute you kuya Ismael.
10 Am Dada
After the bumpy ride and the delightful scenery we arride at Brgy. Dada. Blue sky and the stunning slopes greeted us with a smile. The cool morning air and scent of pine needles is addicting, the scent is so heavy in the cool morning air, it was deep and sweeter.
Immediately after a short briefing we started our great escarpment. But 15 minutes later , the sky suddenly darkened. I began second-guessing the weather. The pouring weak rain soon followed.
We have no choice but continue the trek or we might not make it on time to poblacion before sunset. Halfway heavy downpour began, we have no choice but to have a break at a house that offer some sort of shelter. Luckily "Ate" offered me some lemons, fresh from the trees, I picked them , interesting, but hey the folks I met here were exceptional.
The shower was short-lived, then, the rain stopped. It was still past 11 am and the sky is more clear, right away we started our ascend all the way to the summit.No rain gear needed.
Mt Lobo is considered the easiest of the Trio. I learned, however, that Mt Lobo is not that easy. Despite the easier expected trail conditions, the way up to the summit was a strenuous hike.
Our guide mentioned that a metal railing was already built to make access to the summit more easier. In no time we reached our first peak. we were not blessed with an amazing weather but i proud to say "yes im done with Mt. Lobo". A bit of clouds or a cloudy day at the summit adds up to an enchanting views, and that changes all the time. I wasnt discouraged about hiking Mt Lobo in these conditions.
Past 1 Pm.
After our lunch and some photo sessions the group started to descend. Climbing again after lunch was a challenge. It was tempting to stay for more hours but we have to - so in no time we started to descent.
From Mt. Lobo's summit the trail is more scenic, but now its more longer and tougher. My Mantra is " slowly and surely" on my way down. Its because the descent became a little harder with a lot more rocky bits and steep mountain slope.
It’s a long, long way down going to poblacion proper. But the amazing scenery continued. I was fascinated with the glimpses of other ways of life and landscapes.
I enjoyed the walking. I do the talk, I do the walk. I never get bored, which is what usually happens when I hike.
Needless to say, one of our group member got semi-injured on our way down.
Most of the descent was along a ridgeline. From the pine forest trail, the hanging bridge, the picturesque villages and terraced fields leading down to Poblacion is visible. Happily, views got even better now. It's a bit bizzare walking back into civilization.
The first group made it down to Poblacion proper at around 5 pm, and walked through a residential area with beautiful vegetation garden, crossing bridges overlooking the trail from the summit of Mt. Lobo.
There was one particular event I wanted to share. After distributing some of the candies and school supplies i have for the kids and While taking a rest at Poblacion's Barangay hall , one kid approach me and said "Thank you". That really made my heart jump for joy, knowing those kids doesnt know how to speak tagalog. The speaking eyes of the little kid do things to me that I could never explain. Indeed, the heart does not seek “fixes” but insight and understanding.
I want to say thank you Bakun for giving me the courage to continue. I would keep this with me for the longest time.
This being our first night at Poblacion, we stayed at a lovely old Municipal Hall which serve as our home for the next 3 days and 2 nights. The place is so good, with more embracing views of the surrounding mountains and valley.
How much I wish my system did not hurt that much, so I could take another trek tomorrow morning.
I doubt I’ll forget this experience to soon.







2 komento:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...